Word Fest Toowoomba September Newsletter 2023
After the diverse offerings of our last program we have had two months to revive and we are now underway with an exciting smorgasbord of word related events from September 2023 to July 2024.
This will be our third Word Fest Toowoomba program and it is going to have something for all word lovers. Each year we try to cover the interests of as many creatives and their stories as possible.
This program’s theme is From Script to Stage.
To whet your appetites and give you the chance to avoid disappointment, we are outlining the dates to jot into your diaries. We are in the planning and commitment phase, so we will be releasing details in coming newsletters once they are confirmed.
Why we are here?
As in previous years, we are a not-for-profit entity and exist simply to provide opportunities for local writers, readers and wordsmiths across all genres of the spoken and written word to share with our Toowoomba and surrounding regional audiences.
Thanks – very deep and heartfelt thanks go to our supporters willing to give our alternative events oxygen, the in-kind help for venue, and our staunch volunteers for admin and marketing help to get the word out… and keep the prices to the public very low or free where possible. This year we are working hard to build and be even bolder.
Our revenue comes from the sale of our publications and ticketed events and we have a number of great new books coming out – travellers, gardeners and foodies will be well-catered for.
How can you help?
By buying our books and attending our events you are supporting local creatives and minority groups through our partnerships. You can purchase these very reasonably priced, quality publications from Mosaic Hues at the corner of Victoria and Keefe Streets, the Visitor Information Centre in James Street, through Dymocks and The Book Tree or online. Free delivery within Toowoomba.
Did you get your Street Libraries brochure? Here is your chance to check out the free 24/7 Community book libraries lovingly created and maintained by everyday folk who are happy to share and care.
The full Street Libraries brochure – please get in touch if you would like some to distribute or if you can add more.
The 2023-2024 Program
- Itty Bitty Float inthe Grand Central Carnival of Flowers display Hop along to see it displayed.
- Our Podcast Series on Spotify where local, national and international authors share their works and where fun poems and stories are read
- Expressions of Interest open for the 2024 events – Author Expo; Writers Retreat and Progressive Writers’ Days; Plays and Lyrics
- Plays, Lyrics, and Puppets – planning for the Stage Performances in June 2024
- Stories and Recipes Celebrating our colourful community
- Producing the new recipe book More Tastes of Toowoomba
- Workshops at Mosaic Hues – Book Folding; Puppet making; Story Lines and more to come over the following months
- Jimbour House event – Workshop for parents and School Leavers around Cyber Safety, Friendships and Families – tbc
- Launch of a new Travel Book – a Christmas gift for the travel itch
2024 – Theme is From Script to Stage
- Invasive Species -the message in music and art – Mouse Proof Brewery
- North, South, East, West – Progressive Writers’ Walking Days
- Open Writing Competition
- Jimbour House Writers’ Retreat – tbc
- Cooking Demonstrations at Toowoomba Show
- Trashion Parade – Zero Waste Wearable Fashion Parade around the theme Mother just before Mother’s Day
- Book a Business Buddy – a Word Fest first. Stay tuned for the details
Our Winter Week of Words Festival
- Tues 4 – Literary Lunch with an exciting guest author and word lover – and a super fun venue
- Thurs 6 – Queensland Day – An amazing Story and a unique First for Toowoomba
- Fri 7 – Celebrating musos and stage performers
- Sat 8 – Author Expo – local and regional authors across all genres on panels, delivering workshops and reading their work
Claim the dates now
Mystery Date With a Book
2024 a chance to judge a mystery book by its first lines.
All brand new books at a budget price.
Check out the Face Book page and follow to grab your bargains (Facebook: Mystery Date with a Book Toowoomba)
Jeremy’s Book Exchange
A shop full of soul. Jeremy is a super supporter and we love his children’s books. Do yourself a Molly Meldrum favour and head over to Uni Plaza and enjoy a rummage in this treasure trove. (FaceBook: Jeremy’s Book Exchange)
Expression of Interest
Keep an eye out in the next newsletter for our Expression of Interest for our Author Expo, Fashion Parade and Writers’ Retreat.
Not yet subscribed to the newsletter? Don’t worry, just drop your details at the bottom section of our contact page: “Connect with us! Join our mailing list for updates on all things Word Fest Toowoomba!”